Buzzword Books - unusual, intriguing, intelligent, perceptive

Here, you'll find musings from our authors and staff. We don't promise daily updates. Just posts worth your time.

Saturday, 18 May 2013

From tyro to published

Author Todd Charlton now has three books on our companion site, bookbooster.com - Death Lust, Dust and Chaos and Everyone Else is Collecting Feathers. They are all good meaty reads. We asked the industrious Todd to write a post for the blog. Here it is:

I took John D MacDonald's advice in the introduction to Stephen King's Night Shift. Don't tell people you want to be a writer.

Write.

As with anyone, my early attempts were terrible. I wrote a fantasy novel called The Keeper Of The Godsword about the ultimate power and how it was coveted by all. What else is fantasy about? Although I liked the themes, it was pretty bad. Personally though, I kind of like it.

I wrote about 20 short stories and was nearly published in a sci-fi mag with a story called Penumbra, but I guess it just wasn't good enough.

Funnily enough one of my early stories, Proportions, was awarded a Highly Commended by a group called WRITERS WORLD in Queensland. It was about someone who loses his house and all his possessions. The twist at the end was that he was playing a game of Monopoly. That was in 1991 after I took a correspondence course.

I toiled on and off for years but I had no real experiences on which to draw inspiration.
 Then I visited Nepal.

Out of that came Dust and Chaos, my first published work on Bookbooster. It was a simple enough novella, but I learned to write simple sentences that drive the story instead of trying to be smart with complicated drivel.

My second work to see some light, Death Lust, is a zombie novella which comes from my own experience and attitudes. 

Write what you know.

My novel, Everyone Else Is Collecting Feathers, has ruffled a few. It is my attempt at an honest, ballsy little ditty about wasted lives. It began in 1995 as a truly horrible screenplay, but after years of polishing and hard work, it too was published.

The key to success is work. And more work.

I can't call myself successful yet because I haven't paid for anything with the proceeds of my labours. But I write for myself, not financial gain.

I've always loved the works of Stephen King but could never hope to imitate him. It was only when I read authors like Richard Laymon that I said to myself; I can do that....

Jack Ketchum is also a big influence. His stories based on real life terrors, written in deceptively simple prose is the thing I strive to emulate.

Right now I'm about to embark on a non-fiction book about American movie.

Todd Charlton.

You can find all Todd's novels on bookbooster.com for $2.99

No comments:

Post a Comment